Monday, October 29, 2012

Honeymoon Tour - Zion National Park

We left Salt Lake City in search of God's country… otherwise known as Zion National Park.  Deep in the Utah wilderness, the Virgin River has been hard at work,  carving deep canyons out of ancient sand dunes, molding a landscape like no other.  The road to Zion led us through the rocky Mojave Desert, winding through painted plateaus that rise gracefully from the ground. I fully understand how people fall in love with the desert.  It possesses a beauty all its own.  Red canyons stand stark against deep blue sky, powerful.  And the most striking of them all - Zion Canyon.  The deep bends and wandering forks of the Virgin create canyon upon canyon upon canyon, towering over the river valley. 

We rolled into the park with just enough time to set up camp - right at the base of a canyon, along the Virgin River.  The Yoder-home proved a sturdy "tent"  and our lofted bed made for the best night of sleep I've ever had camping.  We woke up the next morning later than anticipated… the canyon walls hiding the sun until 9am.  So we ate a quick breakfast and set out on our mission - to climb Angel's Landing. 

Angel's Landing is a steep peak that sits atop an impossibly thin canyon.  Carved from a tight bend in the Virgin River, its walls rise over 1400 feet from the canyon floor - sheer cliffs on either side of the ridge line.    It was named by a Methodist minister who believed the peak could serve as a point for angels to land and survey the Zion valley. The trail to Angel's Landing is hailed as a symbol of creativity and ingenuity of early park rangers.  Chains were placed along the ridge, while "steps" were chiseled into the rocks to create foot holds. Strenuous and treacherous, it is not recommended for anyone fearful of heights…. I happen to have a fear of heights.

I should say that I was not forced to hike this trail.  In fact - it may have been my idea.  However, I was misled to believe that the trail isn't nearly as scary as its made out to be.  Tom and Erica, our hosts from Salt Lake City, hiked the trail and told us it really wasn't that bad.  "There were grandmas doing it!"  That must have been one rockin' granny….

The hike was easy enough at the start. A series of switchbacks led us up a side canyon - cardio intense but manageable.  We hiked 2 miles up to the Angel's Landing trail head.  Then things got real serious.  A mere half mile to the top… but with the possibility of death around every corner it made for a long half mile.  As we stepped out onto the ridge I suddenly became very aware of my heart beat.  I have a tendency to go into adrenaline overload and pass out.  Corey calls me the equivalent of a fainting goat,  It happens mostly in medical or surgical scenarios… really any time needles are involved.  (I also have a small fear of needles…)  I knew I'd have to keep my heart rate in check in order to survive the ordeal, lest I pass out and go tumbling off the 1400 foot cliff  The climb itself was not too difficult.  Don't get me wrong… it was definitely a climb.  The fact that they call it a "trail" is beyond my understanding.  You scramble over boulders, shimmy up crevices and scoot along ledges.  "Trail" is more a loose term for - a way to the top.  It definitely required some strength- but none of it was beyond my ability.  It was my mind that I was battling more than anything else.  Seeing the whole accent ahead of me was dizzying… So I just had to focus on where I was at the moment.   And thats the trick of it really.  Purely a mental thing.  If you allow the mountain to be greater than you - it will be.

We started our ascent.  Holding the chain with one hand, while l scrambled over rocks.. I immediately felt the fear.  "Corey I'm scared.  I don't think I can do this."  "You can do it hon, just one step at a time."  So that's what I did.  One step at a time, refusing to look down, breathing slow and telling myself "I am not on a mountain.  I am not on a mountain.  I am not walking a cliff…"   We made our slow rise to the top.  Every so often we'd meet someone else along the path… on their way down from the top.   We would carefully pass by one another and gather encouragement that the view was "definitely worth it." .  Their presence was a comfort, knowing that someone else was crazy enough to attempt the climb, that someone else had survived.  My patient husband coached me every step of the way, standing close beside me, to catch me if I slipped and shield me from the wind.  We took frequent breaks to rest our shaky legs, but kept a steady pace, lest we take a look about and realize where we were.  The longer we stopped the harder it was to keep going… the fear would settle in again - the little voice that said - "There's no way you can do this.  You're not strong enough.  And remember, you still have to get back down…"  So we kept moving.  One step at a time, until finally… we had done it.  We had reached the summit.

The panorama was absolutely incredible.  One side offered a view of the widening river valley, the sun glittering off the water far below.  The other side was all canyon, layers and layers of canyons painted in desert hues.  It is a sight that can only be seen from the top of a mountain.  A sight you have to work for.  We sat at the peak for a long while, taking it all in.  Other hikers joined us at the top, which made for a feeling of camaraderie that was almost heavenly.  Total strangers congratulating each other on a journey well traveled.  Enjoying the spoils of their labor.  After taking plenty of pictures we made our way down.  Bolstered by our success, we moved with a bit of confidence.  As we passed others making their ascent, faces white and knees shaking, we found ourselves encouraging them, "You're almost there!  Its so worth it!"  We reached the base of the trail, kissed the ground and each other and thanked the Lord for protecting us along the way.  We made it out alive and it felt awesome.  We hiked proud and content to the valley floor and headed back at camp where we made ourselves a hearty supper to reward ourselves for accomplishing the feat. 

The whole experiences felt like an allegory for a life of faith.  At times, it is simply a steady climb, one switchback after another.  At other times, you'll find yourself climbing a narrow ridge, with cliffs on either side.  At those times, life is scary and risky and overwhelming. The mountain ahead of you - weather it be your finances, your health, your relationships - towers over your.  The sight of it is dizzying.  All you can do it take it one step at a time, keeping your eyes steady on Christ, the path.  If you allow your gaze to wander… if you begin to focus on the challenge ahead of you…  the mountains, and the depths below - you will begin to slip.  Like Peter, who, with His eyes on Christ, stepped out of the boat and walked upon the sea… then suddenly realized the waves crashing round him, took his eyes off the Lord and began to sink…..  If you allow the mountain to be greater than you - it will be.  Instead you must fix your eyes upon Him who will keep your feet steady and make your paths straight. 

Along the way, just when you want to give up, someone who has "been there" crosses your path and offers encouragement enough to continue on.  You move on… Every step a step of faith, believing your climb will be worth it.  All your hard work…  facing all your fears … will be fruitful in the end.  Until somehow, you've reached the top - you've conquered your mountain - and you catch a glimpse of heaven.  You drink it in.  Knowing moments like these are few and far between.  Then a funny thing happens, having climbed the mountain, you find yourself transformed.  Filled with a new confidence.  As you head back down the mountain, your footing feels secure.  As you pass others along the way, you realize you've "been there" and offer encouragement to help them on their journey.  A beautiful cycle.

If you are lucky enough, you have a companion with you on the journey.  Someone to stand beside you, to catch you when you slip, to shield you from the wind, to tell you - "You can do this."  I couldn't be more grateful for my amazing husband who joins me on this journey.  As we continue forward, I know we will have plenty of mountains to climb, big and small, literal and figurative - but if we keep the faith and take it one step at a time - we can summit each and every one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment